The Mighty Waring Website

MUSC Buildings


1826 College acquired its first permanent building, on the corner of Queen and Franklin streets
1825-1832 US Arsenal built; St. Luke's Chapel originally an artillery shed. Known as St. Timothy's Chapel during period of Porter Military Academy; in 1966 renamed for St. Luke the patron saint of physicians.
1852 First Roper Hospital completed on Queen Street for use as city hospital and teaching hospital for the MCSC (Begun 1850)
1856 Roper Hospital opened for regular use (briefly used in 1854 yellow fever epidemic)
1861 Colcock Hall built as a foundry by the Confederate States of America government on the site of the US Arsenal. After being used for classrooms by Porter Military Academy, Colcock Hall was the first building to be used by the School of Dental Medicine in 1965. Later the building was used by University Press, Alumni Association, Public Relations, Development and Waring Historical Library. After extensive restoration, it opened as the MUSC Administration Offices in 2006.
1886 First Roper Hospital closed due to earthquake damage
1894 Waring Historical Library originally built as a library for the Porter Military Academy and named for Reverend Charles Frederick Hoffman of New York who provided the construction cost of $7,500. Dedicated in 1969 as the Waring Historical Library named for Dr. Joseph I. Waring.
1906 Second Roper Hospital built on the corner of Calhoun and Lucas streets
1914 Medical College of the State of South Carolina established as a state institution in 1913; the first building of the state institution completed in 1914 on Jonathan Lucas (previously Barre) and Calhoun streets. The Hollings Cancer Center built on that site and included the original façade from the 1914 building.
1920 Physiology-Pharmacology building (building D of the Quadrangle) built
1930 Library-Pathology building built on the corner of Jonathan Lucas (previously Barre) and Calhoun streets. When a new library was built in 1971, the building housed offices and was torn down in 1982. The Hollings Cancer Center later built on this site.
1940 Outpatient-Laboratory building built, buildings C and E of the Quadrangle
1940 Simon Baruch Auditorium added to the Medical College. The building was given by Bernard Baruch in memory of his father for whom the building is named.
1946 Third Roper Hospital opened (started 1943)
1952 Laboratory-Clinic building, or Cancer Clinic, constructed, with the College of Pharmacy occupying the fourth floor. By the 1970s the College of Pharmacy occupied the entire building.
1952 Pinehaven Tuberculosis Sanatorium built on the corner of Courtenay and Calhoun streets to replace Pinehaven on Rivers Avenue
1954 Alumni Memorial House, a dormitory, built
1955 Medical College Hospital opened as the teaching hospital for the Medical College
1956 School of Nursing building built
1959 Second Roper Hospital building closed
1962 Research building built, named for Robert Petrie Walton, Ph.D. in 1982
1963 Porter Military Academy property acquired for $1,136,000. MUSC retained three buildings from the site for use by the university: St. Luke's Chapel, the Waring Historical Library, and Colcock Hall
1965 Pinehaven Tuberculosis Sanatorium converted to the Charleston Memorial Hospital, and a wing was added
1966 Veteran's Administration Hospital built
1970 Castle Pinckney Inn purchased and used for Continuing Education programs and later used as a parking lot and helicopter pad
1971 Construction completed on the Library-Administration Building (Started in 1970)
1972 Parking Garage I added, a few years later a portion of it is enclosed for offices
1975 Macaulay Museum of Dental History erected to house the collection of dental antiques and artifacts of Dr. Neill W. Macaulay of Columbia
1975 Clinical Science Building constructed
1975 Storm Eye Institute built
1976 College of Allied Health Science's building completed in August. Located at corner of President and Bee Streets, the building housed classrooms, laboratories and administrative offices of the College of Allied Health Sciences
1977 University Services Building built, which became part of the Psychiatric Institute in 1989
1977 Wickliffe Faculty-Alumni House purchased with donations from Margaret Wickliffe from West Union, SC. The property included the Guest House
1978 First National Bank building purchased
1978 Two floors added to the Clinical Science building
1979 Summerall Center (later called Harborview Office Tower) occupied by MUSC
1982 Former Riverside Geriatric and Convalescent Center on Calhoun Street purchased to house the new Department of Family Medicine
1984 Renovations of the Guest House completed
1987 Sebring-Aimar house dedicated for use of Alumni Office and Development Office
1987 Children's Hospital opened (construction started 1982)
1987 Parking Garage II dedicated
1988 Institute of Psychiatry opened June 10th
1988 Red Cross building acquired, later housed Public Safety
1989 Hurricane Hugo hit Charleston, SC; destroyed St. Luke's Chapel. Damages to the remaining portions of the first Roper Hospital on Queen Street required demolition of building.
1991 Harborview Office Tower (formerly Summerall Center) purchased
1993 MUSC Hospital's North Tower dedicated
1993 Stiles and Virginia Harper Student Center dedicated (groundbreaking 1988)
1993 Hollings Cancer Center opened on August 9th (groundbreaking 1990)
1994 Rededication of the restored St. Luke's Chapel
1997 Strom Thurmond Biomedical Research Center and the Gazes Cardiac Institute opened
1998 Storm Eye Institute expansion and the Rutledge Tower Ambulatory Care Facility opened
2000 MUSC's Bone and Joint Center opened (May)
2001 Enterprise Community/MUSC Neighborhood Health Clinic opened (Begun in September 1999)
2002 Quadrangle D and C buildings demolished to make room for the new Hollings Cancer Institute expansion
2005 Charles P. Darby Children's Research Institute dedicated (February)
2005 Ashley-Rutledge Parking garage opened (June)
2005 College of Health Professional complex completed and opened (groundbreaking Oct 2003)
2005 Hollings Cancer Center Expansion Project completed (began in 2001)
2006 James B. Edwards College of Dental Medicine building construction begun; groundbreaking August 18
2006 Colcock Hall renovations complete; building opened as offices of Central Administration
2007 Ashley River Tower (ART) dedicated on October 12
2009 Construction begun on the Drug Discovery Building (DDB) and the Bioengineering/Cancer Genomics Building (BEB)
2009 Library building renamed James W. Colbert Education Center and Library
2009 Construction begun on the Drug Discovery Building (DDB) and the Bioengineering/Cancer Genomics Building (BEB)
2010 James B. Edwards College of Dental Medicine dedicated
2011 Clyburn Plaza opened; Drug Discovery Building (DDB) and the Bioengineering/Cancer Genomics Building (BEB) dedicated