At the time of Dr. Robert Wilson’s appointment as Dean of the College of Medicine in 1908, Abraham Flexner was beginning his survey of the Medical College. Flexner’s survery resulted in the report titled Medical Education in the United States and Canada. It was highly critical of the Medical College and its poor facilities, lack of full-time faculty, lack of equipment, and lack of money. Recognizing that the college did not meet national requirements Wilson determined that the only way to save the college from closure was to transfer it to state ownership in order to have access to state appropriations. The state took over formal control of the college in 1913, the same year that Kenneth M. Lynch was hired as the first full-time faculty member in the pathology department. Lynch later succeeded Robert Wilson as Dean of the college in 1943 and served until 1949, when he was named president of the college, a position he held until 1960.