On August 29, 1956 the School of Nursing Building — our present-day College of Nursing building – opened. This five-story structure combined education, recreation, and dormitory areas all under one roof. The ground floor had classrooms, offices, and a dining room. The second floor was essentially for recreation and administration. This floor was also planned for conversion to classrooms and offices as expansion continued. The upper three floors were dormitory areas with 144 beds.
The construction of the building cost approximately $1 million and it was anticipated that additional stories would be added on to the building in the future. Many people are not aware that the building was actually designed in the shape of a nurse’s cap and that an impression of Florence Nightingale’s lamp appears at the top of the building.