Over the years, St. Luke’s Chapel has undergone numerous significant changes both physically and functionally. Built between 1825 and 1830 by the United States government, it was originally used as a federal arsenal for the storage of weapons. In 1880, the building and surrounding property was sold and converted into a chapel for the Porter Military Academy and eventually the Medical University of South Carolina.
From weapons and conflict to education and healing, St. Luke’s has emerged as a place of quiet, renewal, and reflection for MUSC faculty, staff, patients, and visitors. Using archival records and photographs, this exhibit tells the story of St. Luke’s Chapel, birth and rebirth.